New quit smoking drug Champix linked to suicide and violence

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating claims the new quit smoking drug Chantix, released under the name Champix in Australia, is the cause of suicidal thoughts and related erratic behaviour in some patients.

At least 100 cases of smokers experiencing psychiatric symptoms whilst taking the drug are being investigated in the United States.  Patients claim that within days to weeks of starting the twelve week course of treatment, they experienced depressed mood, suicidal thoughts and behavioural changes for the first time in their lives.

A spokesperson for the FDA did say, “Smoking cessation, with or without treatment, is associated with nicotine withdrawal symptoms and has also been associated with the exacerbation of underlying psychiatric illness.” But it is important to note, some of the cases being investigated by the FDA involve smokers who had no prior history of any psychiatric illness before taking Chantix.

Pfizer’s Chief Medical Officer has been quoted as saying “there is no scientific evidence establishing a relationship between Chantix and these reported events.”

However, the makers of Chantix (Champix) were aware there might be a problem with the drug since at least November 2007 and yet, the drug was still released in Australia without warning consumers of these particularly troubling side effects, on 1 January, 2008.  The European drugs regulator, the European Medicines Agency called for warnings to be placed on Champix back in December 2007. The agency was concerned about the numbers of reported suicide attempts by smokers who were taking the drug. Despite this, nowhere in the list of side effects released by Pfizer Australia is there any mention of suicidal thoughts or erratic behaviour changes.

I did predict back in mid-December that Champix would go the way of it’s predecessor Zyban, which came under harsh scrutiny in the press several years ago when smokers reported similar psychiatric symptoms after taking the drug.

As I revealed in my post of 17 December 2007, I stopped taking Zyban after the drug kept me awake for three days.  Pfizer Australia did include sleeping problems on their list of possible side effects of taking Champix.  So for me, the similarities between Zyban and Champix were just too big to ignore and I chose never to try the new drug.

I would urge any smoker thinking about taking Champix should delay the decision until at least the results of the FDA investigation in the US are released.  There are much safer alternatives available to the individual who wishes to quit smoking.

Comments

1. Karan says

Your site looks great! I found your blog via Google while searching for quit smoking medication and your post regarding the smoking drug Champix linked to suicide and violence | Australian Women Online looks very interesting to me. I have seen many other so-called sites and they have been far from good quality.Your site has all the key ingredients to pulling in visitors.

2. Karan says

3. Deirdre says

Hi,
    Just came accross this site and wanted to let you know that I used champix last year and I am delighted to say I am still off the cigarettes 10 months later and feel so relieved to be finally free of them after smoking heavily for 20yrs. For me personally I can say that I found the tablets made it an awful lot easier to give them up , I did gain a small bit of weight and now tend to speak my mind rather than say nothing as I used to do, but I find it a small price to pay for something that was ruling my life!!!

4. Deirdre says

Hi,

5. Robyn says

I started Champix on the 1st week of January, i stopped smoking after the first week. I felt great, I was getting healthy and fit, I smelt great, the kids and hubby loved kissing & cuddling me. During the middle of Feburary I started becoming aggressive,irritable and didn’t even want to speak or know my husband or my three children. The problem got worse. I have never felt like my mind was hidden away somewhere I am always in control and the way I treated people in a manner that was just downright rude and abnoxious .I quit taking Champix last Tuesday on my Dr’s advice, I am now taking anti-anxiety pills, can not hold down a conversation, constant trembling and I am also trying to start a TAFE degree and starting to run a business with my husband. I am emotionally hurting the ones I love and do wish I could go to sleep and never wakeup. This should all pass in a few more days and I can’t wait to be me again. As bad as smoking may be for you and those around you, I actually felt better smoking.For those of you it has worked for ‘congratulations’ to a new you. For those thinking about taking it read those side effects and don’t think it will pass see your Dr ASAP no matter how small you think it may be.

• Jess says

Robyn thank you for your post i started taking Champix in October 2012 6 weeks in and i feel as though i am losing my head not mentally stable at all, angry aggresive and been violent on 3 occasions with my partner i also have a young baby that i cannot interact with because of the way i feel which makes me feel like a bad mother and in turn makes me upset and depressed,. I cant focus in conversation and my mind drifts somewhere else i am constantly tired just glad i found your post and i know its not just me

6. Robyn says

• Jess says

7. Beverly says

I started taking Champix on Dec 15, 2007. My quit date was January 1, 2008. I’m a Non Smoker now. I’m still taking the pills, when I remember to take them. I’m not going to lye, I did get irritable some times, but it passed. I was a little depressed the first couple of weeks that I stoped smoking, but I really don’t think it was the Champix. It was January a very depressing month to start with. I was able to get over it. I would recommend this pill to anyone that really wants to stop. I really think that there is going to be some kind of side effects when trying to withdrawal from any kind of drug. But see your Doctor if the side effects continue.

8. Beverly says

9. Rhonda says

I started champix March 10, 2008. I did not realize that it would affect me as it did. I have now quit the medication, 28 of April, 2008. I did not recognize myself any longer. I have a history of depression but have not had a serious bout for 10 years. Well I’m just coming out of it a bit now. I feel a relief already and it’s only been a few days. On the weekend I was so agressive and so terribly depressed, I couldn’t believemyself. I definitly think that people should be aware and ready for these possible effects. I believe I would have tried it anyway because of physical health problems, but I am glad to know that the agression and depression will stop. Consumer please beware.

10. Rhonda says

11. sandy says

I have just taken Champix for 14 days. I gave up smoking on the 10th day of taking the drug. I am really annoyed as both my husband and myself went to two different doctors to obtain the drug.

We were NOT told of the 12 week programme, both doctor’s only gave us 14 days tablets with no knowledge that we are supposed to be still taking them for 12 weeks !

I have just found out by reading a few webpages on the drug Champix. We have no more tablets and have been smoke free and drug free for three days. Both of us have a weird sensation down our face…a sharp pain which resembles a toothache/ earache or similiar. I’m wondering if this is a side affect of NOT taking Champix.

any ideas ?? We are traveling at the moment and unable to ring our doctor’s regarding their LACK of KNOWLEDGE on this drug and its programme.

We found the drug to be excellent and being totally addictive to smokes for years, it ‘s finally a relief to be a non-smoker ……..

12. sandy says

13. Kelly says

I’ve been taking Champix for about 5 weeks and stopped 2 days ago. My doctor warned me about the reports of depression and suicidal thoughts but I had no idea it could come on as quickly or intensely as it did. I have never in my life felt as low as I did last weekend… I have no history of depression or suicidal tendencies, but got to a point (and for no good reason – in hindsight) where I was almost convinced my life just wasn’t worth living. If it wasn’t for the fact that I remembered the Dr’s warning and stopped taking the pills “just in case they had something to do with it” I’d hate to think what might’ve happened. 24hrs after stopping I was back to normal.

The drug company is trying to say that these side effects are actually the ‘normal” smoking withdrawal process but I’ve gone longer without cigarettes in the past and have never experienced anything like this before. I’d urge anyone considering taking these pills to at the very least make sure they have friends or family on the look-out for any signs that something may be wrong!

14. Kelly says

15. Renea says

I started to take champix 3 weeks ago my give up date was the 11th july 2008 i did manage to give up for 3 days before i got depressed and shaky and ended up smoking again. I also started suffering really bad nightmares by the second week which are still continuing and getting worse. my doctor told me to stay on them and subsitute with lozenges or patches as well to try to give up again. Not to mention the break out of mouth ulcers since starting this medication. So please do be aware that there can be really bad side effects for some people and if you have any see your doctor immediately and if not happy with there response (like me) seek a second opinion i will be.

16. Renea says

17. cheryl says

iam about to start tablets friday reading more info an these tablets iam getting a bit more concerned. but i think i may still give it a go. as i have smoked for 25 years hell of a long time not to try. if i get any of therse side affects i will stop sounds like it does not take long for efectts to stop happening iam still very excited to give it a go this will be my first attempt to stop hope to let you no how i go good luck to all

18. cheryl says

19. Simon says

After two weeks on these tables my wife has lost sleep has mood swings plus other common side effects as other people .She has not been able to work for the last week. There was no instruction papers in the box.
    Being a none smoker it makes me wonder

20. Simon says

Being a none smoker it makes me wonder

21. Norman says

I sarted the program 2 weeks ago, the day after getting my script, my quit day was day 8, I was not aware that there was so much concern over Champix until looking it up on the web, I must admit that it has eased the need for a cigarette and i have been smoke free for 9 days now, my biggest worry is the mood swings, left alone i’m fine but the smallest trigger ie:- wife having a moan and I go off my head, my first blowout saw me shoving the wife and could not believe what had come over me, I am worried now that it could turn worse, I have been feeling depressed wondering what my worth is on this planet, I have had no warning from the doctor other than it is totally different to Zyban which I also tried.
    I agree with Kelly ensure there is someone looking out for you or go back to the Doctor and mention your concerns, or get a second opinion.

22. Norman says

23. hollie says

hey everyone , i started taking champix three days ago on the second day of taking them i didnt feel like wanting to smoke im now on my fourth day and ive still not had a fag and still going strong! ive had a few side effects, i cry over simple little things and feel a little depressed at night and in a morning but soon goes away, i could not of stopped smoking without champix they have really helped me, but the side effects are bad and by the sounds of it will get worse thats why im not going to do the full course of them but just enough to fully take my mind of smoking,

24. hollie says

25. Tim wilkinson says

I was on Champix for 8 days, it made me aggressive and very depressed. I have never experienced these feelings before and stopped taking the drug two days ago. This morning I woke up feeling a different person, I am very strong in character and cannot believe that something was able to change me so completely. I think this is a very dangerous drug that has not been properly tested!

26. Tim wilkinson says

27. Karen says

I started Champix three weeks ago and was doing great until last week when I had a weeks holiday and spent the whole week sleeping every afternoon, not wanting to do anything, by Thursday I felt like someone had taken ripped my heart out of my chest and by Saturday I was at the doctors in tears. I suffer from Depression but I am on antidepressants, not having depression in a long time. The Depression this drug bought on led me to smoke on Saturday and every day since, I am absolutely devastated and off work for a few days. My doctor instructed me to not take this drug anymore. I am unable to do anything at home I just want to sleep, Pfizer need to do more testing as far as this is concerned.

28. Karen says

29. David says

Being a smoker for 33 years I started on Champix and smoked until 9 days into the program. After stopping smoking i was very chilled out and relaxed with no side effects evident except nausea after taking the tablet. However at day 13 I became agressive when my partner upset me with something she said and I became very verbally abusive. I also verbally abused my stepdaughter which is something i would never had done. I have no recollection of what i said & this was not me. I had suicidal thoughts then and depression has set in. This reaction has cost me my relationship. It was not just a normal nicotine withdrawal as Ive gone longer without cigarettes before and never experienced this. No one told me of these possible side effects and they just snuck up and bit me.

30. David says

31. Debra says

I started on Champix 12 weeks ago. I stopped smoking on the 9th day and found it quite easy to stop. I have smoked since I was 14 and I am now 47 and have tried every other way to quit and nothing else worked. I have experienced very bad mood swings and to be honest I still feel very agressive.
    I dont know how my family have put up with me over the past 12 weeks, I also went through a couple of weeks where I couldn’t be bothered moving. I was totally not with it. I cut the tablets down to one tablet per day and found this easier to cope and the moods impoved a bit. I have now stopped taking the tablets about 4 days ago and I have felt like a smoke alot today. My Son whom is 23 was going to start taking them and I advised him not to, I would hate to see him go through any of the symptoms. I hope I can now go back to being nice again instead of being so negative and nasty to everyone around me.

32. Debra says

33. Maryanne Quilter says

I started on Champix in September, it worked wonderfully, after 8 days I was not smoking, after the 14th day I only went onto one tablet a day. I did have to eat when taking it, otherwise the nausea was terrible. I started behaving erratically right from the start, although it was subtle; I would become obsessed with a thought, and couldn’t let it go. I believe this helped to end my relationhsip with my boyfriend. I took Champix for another 3 weeks, in that time I behaved in a way that was completely foreign to me, and committed an illegal act that was completely out of character. I didn’t seem to be depressed although reading my journal at the time it is a little flat. One Sunday morning though I woke very early and just couldn’t think of a reason to live. I rang an ambulance and was hospitalised for 5 days. After 48 hrs off Champix I started to return to normal, and by the end of 5 days I was fine. I would not recommend this drug to anyone. I have never had a history of depression before.

34. Maryanne Quilter says

35. says

Wow, if there is studies and experiences of unconsciously doing acts of violence or illegal activity with association to taking the drug, maybe it would be wise not to take it. Even though the results of the drug are positive because all comments pointed to helping with smoking, but what is the result to your attitude. It’s a gamble.

36. says

37. says

Actually guys this is not the first time I’ve heard that: a chap contacted me because his brother-in-law had committed a very serious offence whilst on Champix which was totally out of character and he was now awaiting trial here in the U.K. Of course he is going to have a devil of a time trying to prove that the medication had anything to do with it, even though the expression “totally out of character” is cropping up again and again on Champix blogs.

Also, beware these claims that Champix “works” based on short-term effects only. There are many reports now that the urge to smoke returns later for many smokers, although not all. The actual long-term outcomes will be nothing like the hype, and the horror stories are just piling up. Don’t take my word for it: just Google “Champix suicides” and read the evidence for yourselves. Or visit http://www.truthwillout.co.uk and read the Champix category in the Blog section of the site. All genuine.

38. says

39. jan says

Hi, I started Champix , along with 6 other friends, in December, 2007. To date, I am the only one who has not had a cigarette. four are smoking when having a drink or a night out, the other one is smoking twice as many as she did before. So that must make me goody two shoes and top of the class!! NOT SO! I have never felt so down, so depressed, and oh so volotile. AND I still would kill for a cigarette. Does anyone else feel this way or am I totally alone in the universe???
    I don’t sleep, I am so angry with everyone and everything, my husband and family have just about had enough, and to be honest, so have I, I just don’t know or recognise the person I have become. Please tell me I’m not alone,

40. jan says

41. Tim Wilkinson says

I placed a comment here on 5th October 2008. Since that time my life has had some dramatic twists and turns, I deteriarated over time into a severe clinical depression which led to suicidal ideation and an attempt at self harm on the 27th of November 2008 which ended up with me being carted off to hospital. I now have help and am recovering, looking at what is available to see on the net I am one of the lucky ones! I have tried to talk to Pfizer who have stalled me and ignored my demise, they are more interested in my medical history than the effect their drug had on me.
    This is an incidious drug that has had a 100% success rate in some people quitting smoking, unfortunately those people are not around any more to tell us how they feel about finally quitting the habit!
    I think the point here is that this drug whilst it works for some people is extremely dangerous for others, the fault here lies in the information that Pfizer give to the perscribing Doctors and further test to indentify fully the ‘at risk groups’!
    The TGA issued a warning this week on 1st December 2008 on Champix and linked ot to severe adverse reactions, in a statement issued by Pfizer this week the underlying meaning was that ‘the end justifies the means’. When you consider the implications that that has it is morally reprehensible!

42. Tim Wilkinson says

43. Wendy Ferrier says

I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone up there on previous posts. I set a date with my doctor to start this medication in 10 days time, frankly after reading all the blogs, I’ve decided the risk is just too high for me to take. I have battled depression and anxiety/panic attacks in the past – it took me four years to get over it! I cant believe I was about to take a medication that would undoubtedly throw me back into it after 6 years of depression free life again. So glad that you all had the courage to write about your own experience so others can be informed! Incidentally, my doctor was totally unaware of these negative side effect reports!

44. Wendy Ferrier says

45. Tim Wilkinson says

This is my third post on this string. In the last week I have had a phone call from Dr. Lopert (Director of the TGA). I have believe that Champix/Chantix works for some and to those I say good luck! What I want to see is a more informed public as to the side effects that this drug can have, My Doctor had no idea of what side effects were being experienced by other users of the drug, he can only rely on what he is instructed by the TGA and reps of the drug sponsor, he has apologised to me that I was persribed the drug. There appears to be no failsafe in it’s perscription even though a verification is required! Why in that verification is the Doctor not told that he must outline the risks to the patient? This whole thing is a ‘cash cow’ for the drug industry, there are stipulations in the license of thios drug that are not being adhered to, in other words Pfizer has failed in it’s duty of care and is criminally liable to prosecution. Not a day goes by without me thinking of what might have been (refer previous comment) and I am determined to see that Pfizer are held accountable! If anyone out there is interested in a class action please contact me timwilkinson@willprotect.com.au
    I have done an enormous amount of research into this drug and Pfizer and find that they are not interested in the side effects and put them down as nicotine withdrawal, I have never heard of anybody blowing theri brains out because they ran out of smokes! If you want to know how many people affected in the US go to http://www.fdable.com/aers/advanced_query/1cceb8ed0037

46. Tim Wilkinson says

47. Ali says

Hi Guys, from what I experienced today, my advice to anyone thinking of taking this drug champix, PLEASE DON’T!!!

If you decide to take champix anyway then make sure you have family and friends to watch out for changes in your behaviour.

I’m normally a very relaxed and cool type of guy and anyway Today was day 9 taking the champix tablets and for the past few days I felt a little bit angry and agitated even though I’m still smoking so I knew it wasn’t withdrawl symptoms I was feeling but Today day on day 9 of the medication, I had the first tablet for the day this morning and within half an hour I was freaking out with anger, it came out of no where, a feeling of hatred and anger towards anything and everything, the anger was so intense

48. Ali says

49. mitch says

hey guys i have been on the tablets now for 18 days smoked until 14 gove up on the 14th day and have been fine just a bit of belly pain but when i eat its sweet i have sleept well until last night should i stop taking the pill and try and contiune without them sorry for the spelling mistakes in a rush please help

50. mitch says

51. says

A sometime contributor to my Chantix Blog on http://www.truthwillout.co.uk has just reported that a close friend of her partner’s family has just hanged himself whilst taking Champix. Normally mild-mannered, he began experiencing severe personality changes just 5 days into taking the drug, including paranoia and bouts of anger and depression.

What is perhaps most shocking is that he reported these symptoms, including suicidal thoughts, and the medical advice was that these would disappear and he should keep taking the 2mg doses. Four and a half weeks into the course he killed himself without leaving a note.

After all I have learned about Champix – and Pfizer’s callous, routine denials that the drug is to blame – I cannot say I am surprised at this tragedy, but Jane’s posts were usually chatty and lively, and this has just brought it home with a shock. This is not just some intellectual debate about the merits of various smoking cessation methods. This evil stuff is killing people in a random, unpredictable way which did not show up properly in the trials because the tests were inadequate, and every smoker in the world needs to be warned about these dangers AND advised that there are safer alternatives.

This latest death is only one of many, and for every suicide there are many others that attempt it, or come perilously close. Still others are reporting wrecked relationships and erratic, reckless behaviour.

If you want to read Jane’s original post – and links to many other personal accounts on other blogs – go to http://www.truthwillout.co.uk and click on Champix/Chantix on the right side-bar in the Blog section. Jane’s latest post is number 90. I intend to make sure many thousands of smokers all over the world get to hear about it, and I hope Pfizer end up drowning in lawsuits over this horrible drug, which doesn’t work in most cases anyway. That won’t bring any of these people back, but it may lead to real, lasting change in the way drugs are rushed through the approval systems without proper testing for safety.

52. says

53. Ali says

I left a comment on here on the 21-12-08 that was incomplete as I submitted it accidently before I’d finished.

since then I can say my mental state has returned to normal,
    I only took the drug champix for 9 days but that was enough to almost send me over the edge mentally, feelings of anger, hatred, rage, depression, anxiety and panic attacks were pretty overwhelming and totally out f character for me and luckily I stopped when I did otherwise I don’t know what might have happened.

I can say that when I stopped taking the champix, I did get withdrawls from the drug for about 3 days after and I could not work, mainly feeling extremely anxious, panicky and edgy after I stopped taking it.

I wouldn’t reccommend champix to anyone except my worst enemies!

I have now stopped smoking for 12 days (01-01-09) by using nicotene patches and I’m feeling just fine, it’s a hard habit to break but not impossible.

Cheers.Ali.

54. Ali says

since then I can say my mental state has returned to normal,

I wouldn’t reccommend champix to anyone except my worst enemies!

Cheers.Ali.

55. Patricia says

Both myself and my husband have been taking Champix for the last four weeks. I researched it before I took it and only took half the dose from the beginning and for the last two weeks I have been taking half a tablet once a day. I have no desire to smoke and have had minimal side effects, heartburn which has settled down and pain in calf muscles which comes and goes. My husband has had no side effects but did get a pain behind his knee for the last few days which he is having checked out today. We are both delighted to be free and to be honest when I quit cold turkey I was so depressed, angry, hungry and got numerous chest and sinus infections. I think when taking this drug you have to be very wary of the side effects and if you get depressive thoughts stop taking it immediately. Some people have had a very hard time but maybe the dosage is too much for them. My husband has noticed no difference from taking 1mg and 2mg. I would much prefer to suffer some discomfort than to get a horrible disease from smoking and I have tried every other option available. I think people should be made very aware of the side effects and to seek help straight away if bad side effects occur. It does stop me smoking and I plan to cut down even further and only take half a tablet every second day.
    Best of luck to all users.

56. Patricia says

Best of luck to all users.

57. Jennifer says

I thought Champix was great. After a week I didn’t even want to look at another cigarette. I did experience the nausea and vivid dreams. I thought the side effects were worth it just to be free from cigarettes. Week 2 I started having strange thoughts, and having really strange dreams. I started acting differently, I started getting irritable and irrational with my friends. It was like something was taking over, I would have moments of clarity where I would realize how crazy I was starting to act. And then at work I decided the smart thing to do would be to take all of the pills in my home. At that moment a strange sense of peice fell over me and everything had a golden aura. That night I got home and wrote my father a goodbye email as well as a close friend. Luckily my roommate came home early and discovered me all disoriented after taking a bottle of everything I owned. I ended up spending 2 weeks on the psychiatric ward. I had no previous depression issues, and I’m also a nurse so I never thought anything would go wrong. I had read the pamplet though before I started the pills and they did not warn of these serious side effects. I can’t imagine what my family went through, they didn’t even have my address yet because I had just moved. Anyway, its been over a year now sinse the incident and I’m still irritable and angry person which is nothing like my prechampix personality. I’m also contantly in pain in my joints..I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it, but its really strange.
    I felt I needed to share my story to warn everyone what can happen. Be very careful and have your friends, family, and doctor monitor you while on this drug. It can be very dangerous.

58. Jennifer says

59. says

Why risk it at all? In the only known head-to-head trial between Champix and nicotine replacement therapy, there was no significant difference in the results at either 6 months or one year.

By the way, I don’t mean to suggest that NRT is “just as good”. The fact is that they are equally bad in the long run, with Champix having a few horrifying extra drawbacks.

If you read the so-called “positive” reports for Champix, you will find that the majority of those people are either still taking the drug or have only just started taking it, and they are so excited to be not smoking at that time that they start recommending it to everybody. This is why Jennifer’s post is so important when it comes to looking at the bigger picture: “I thought Champix was great” she begins.

When you look at results at one year – which is, after all, a sober way of looking at it – neither NRT, Zyban or Champix has ever scored higher than 12%. Acupuncture seems to average out at about 25% for smoking cessation, long term. No risk. For results above 50% success at one year, only two methods have been shown in scientific trials to have achieved that: the Allen Carr method, and hypnotherapy. No risk.

60. says

61. jane from United kingdom says

I have been on Champix 2xs and both times it has led to depression,nausea,bad dreams,feeling spaced out and not in touch with reality.When I stopped Champix of my own accord I really wanted to smoke still as the urge was always there.I had a problem with a phobia I had and had acupuncture~for some reason the desire to smoke has vanished since this was done.I would not recommend Champix as its bad stuff-very unpredictable.
    I even know someone who committed suicide on this drug- a relation of my O/H who had no history of depression .Finding your husband hanging in the garage cos of this drug is not very nice.
    Know a really good bloke called Chris Holmes who has written a great book Nicotene the drug that never was’.He is running a campaign in the UK about this drug-Champix.Google truth is out Champix.

62. jane from United kingdom says

63. says

Actually the Truth Will Out Campaign was originally about nicotine replacement products, but the Champix catastrophe just exploded at the same time, and I am genuinely horrified by the stories of suffering and tragedy that have been posted on http://www.truthwillout.co.uk over the last year. I’m now committed to getting it withdrawn as soon as possible.

But look at this:

“Highly recommended and possibly one day the book that will be regarded as the seminal tome for examining the smoking habit for what it really is.”

That is part of a review posted on Amazon.co.uk recently by a chap from Brisbane, and the book he is talking about is Nicotine: The Drug That Never Was. If you are interested in these matters why not go to Amazon.co.uk and read the rest of the reviews there. This is the first book ever to prove that the nicotine tale is a lie, and demonstrate that the urge to pick up a cigarette has nothing to do with the contents of the smoke at all. I also explain in the book exactly how we shut smoking habits down with hypnotherapy.

Nicotine Replacement Poisoning is based on a myth, and should never have been passed as a medication in the first place. There is no such thing as “therapeutic nicotine” – and I will prove it to the world.

64. says

But look at this:

65. Jules says

Wow, I’ve wondered in the past 4 weeks, what had happend to the wonderful, caring life partner for the last 4 years. He went on extended holiday, started the champix during this time. We spoke daily and when when met up 7 weeks later, he was a different person, Meanwhile I’d started on the Champix too. What a nasty combination. Mood swings, irrational behaviour, everything as above. Suddenly I’m single, dead scared about his mental state, but unable to get through to him, that it’s the champix. Me scared.

66. Jules says

67. an says

I want my husband back too! he started taking champix just beofre christmas 08 and got off it 2 -4 weeks in because he was suffering scary dreams, migrains, and irritability, but then he started getting snappy with me and withdrawn, doesnt show love and affection, no cuddles, not text messages everyday like he has concistantly in our 5 year marriage! the person I married is not that person anymore! I am hurting and living a hell, as he doesnt want to be with me anymore. Ive been trying to figure out whats up and why he has changed so dramatically and why he’s become so hostile and irratic. It never accured to me that these side effects could last this long, but yesterday I remembered the CHAMPIX and im horrified to know that and im convinced that this is his problem. which is also mine now!

Will this go away? Im worried! I dont want to loose my husband! :-(

68. an says

Will this go away? Im worried! I dont want to loose my husband! :-(

69. says

Can I reassure you that in all the cases I have been told about so far, the person gradually returns to their usual self, but how long that takes varies quite a bit. Some people feel very shaken and affected by the experience, but apart from the suicides I have not (so far) heard of a case where the personality changes did lasting or permanent damage. Also, I have not yet heard of any cases where a suicide bid was made after stopping the medication, so hopefully he is not at severe risk of that any more.

Could you please keep us posted about your husband’s progress, as others may need reassurance too? I sincerely hope you get your man back okay. Also please, please make sure the prescribing doctor reports this horrible reaction to the medical body that is supposed to protect the public from dangerous medications.

In fact, that should go for anyone who has had a bad reaction – tell the doc! Protect others, make sure it gets reported.

70. says

71. an says

chris, thanks for your response, at this stage it is good to hear that he will gradually return to himself, i hope that day comes soon because its almost hitting 3 months of this torment. Since Ive come to the conclusion that it is champix that has made him this way, i feel less emotional and more understanding of the situation im in.

If it wasnt for me investigating my husbands case, he would be still believing that he’s changed over night and that we’ve drifted apart and would be heading down the road to divorce and loosing everything that he’s worked hard for- he was even on the brink of quiting his job a few weeks ago!!. I printed out the many stories that i found over the web and got him to read them, and left him to take it in this week.

he told me tonight that he is going to move out temporarily to clear his mind, and we had a good positive talk about what he is going through. I told him that im worried for him an that i feel that he is experiencing depression, and that he should go see the GP that prescribed him the champix and take it from there- he’s agreed to that. He admitted to me that he could relate to the stories that he read. I asked him what physical things he was feeling besides, migrains, back pains, and depression. i asked him if he had any numbness in his feet or such and he told me that he has numbness in one of his hands. i asked him if he’s experienced a yuckky metalic taiste in his mouth and he was surprised and said yeah thats why ive been goinng to the denist in the last 2 weeks. hes been replacing his metallic fillings because he thought that was where the metallic taiste was coming from. hes never had a great memory but that seems to be even worse now- and ive told him to start keeping a journal so he can refer back to things if he needs to. He’s still having the horror dreams at least once a week.

Im hopefull that things will sort themselves out- i just hope it happens soon, and await the day that I see a smile back on my babys face!

this CHAMPIX is not worth taking, not unless you want to experience some major drama in your life!

is there an active support group for victims of this drug? If not maybe it would be a good idea to start one!

72. an says

73. f***ed says

Girlfreind is in 2nd week. She mentioned dreams the first few days.Then We had a fight and just like that we are done. She had hate filled eyes when I last saw her. Good stuff for quiting cigarettes and lovers.
    Burn in hell phizer!

74. f***ed says

Burn in hell phizer!

75. Debra says

I tried this poison in 2008. Had a complete psychotic breakdown, wanted to paint the bathroom red, spent a week in hospital, brain chemicals got very messed up. No previous history of depression, anxiety, psychosis etc. I never got my life back after that! Early 2009 was diagnosed with chronic major depression and panic/anxiety attacks with thoughts of suicide, all of which I’m told I will now have for the rest of my life. Wish there was a way to sue Pfizer for this new life I struggle to live with.

76. Debra says

77. Patty Lee says

My daughter was prescribed Champix to help her stop smoking a few years back. Within 10 days of taking champix she was admitted to a Psychiatric ward. She has never had any type of psychological allnesses before this. She was released after 2 weeks. Back to normal . But since then she has had recurring episodes of severe depression. The doctor diagnosed her with Bi-polar. But I know its not that. It all started with that damn Champix. Is there any class actions happening in Australia against Pfizer?