This information is brought to you by business.gov.au
The ABN is a unique number that identifies your business. You’ll need to use it when dealing with other businesses. For example, you generally need to put your ABN on your invoices, or other documents relating to sales. If you don’t, other businesses may withhold 46.5% from any payment to you.
You also need an ABN for certain dealings with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and other areas of government.
Registering for an ABN is not compulsory, but you will need one to register for the Goods and Services Tax (GST). Your ABN also allows you to:
- complete a Business Activity Statement (BAS)
- confirm your business identity to others when ordering and invoicing
- avoid Pay As You Go (PAYG) tax on payments you receive
- claim GST credits
- claim energy grants credits
- obtain an Australian domain name.
What to do…
- Apply for an ABN online. You can also register for GST, PAYG withholding and Tax File Number (TFN) at the same time.
- Read more about ABN essentials from the ATO.
- Contact the Business Infoline on 13 28 66.